Sometimes it’s the craziest ideas that take off.
A social network where users send and read 140 character messages.
An app where users send the message “Yo” to one another.
And now we have Snapchat, an app that launched with a simple value proposition. Allow users to send pictures to each other that disappear after 10 seconds.
And now that idea has turned into a $10 billion company. But the product has evolved to become a more full-fledged social network.
If you think Snapchat is still used by a bunch of kids sending pictures to each other, it’s time to reevaluate. Here’s what you may have missed:
- It launched features like Discover and Stories, which major brands like General Electric, Acura, Coca-Cola, CNN and National Geographic are using to connect with their fans.
- There are over 100 million people using it everyday. By comparison, Twitter has 320 million monthly active users. I’m speculating here, but I’d say it’s daily active user count is close to Snapchat.
- Its most active age demographic are the young adults between 18-24.
Now obviously Snapchat isn’t for everyone. If you’re a B2B marketer targeting high-level decision makers at corporations than Snapchat isn’t your best bet.
But if you’re selling to young consumers and looking for a new way to connect with them, Snapchat might be your new untapped outlet.
Today’s infographic outlines the reach of Snapchat, what brands are using it, how they are using it, and some tips for brands that are new to the platform.
As is the case with all communication tools, it’s important to avoid spamming your followers. The definition of spam differs for many people. For some it’s sending too many snaps, sending too many promotional snaps, or a combination of both.
Be selective in who you choose to run your Snapchat (and all social media accounts). These people carry the loudspeaker and are the voice for your brand and have a direct line to your customers and evangelists. Be sure they know what your brand is about and that it’s consistent with how you want it to be conveyed.
Brought to you by Social Marketing Software by Marketo
About the Author: Zach Bulygo (Twitter) likes marketing, finance, and learning about different businesses.
See How My Agency Can Drive Massive Amounts of Traffic to Your Website
- SEO - unlock massive amounts of SEO traffic. See real results.
- Content Marketing - our team creates epic content that will get shared, get links, and attract traffic.
- Paid Media - effective paid strategies with clear ROI.